Sunday 26 February 2012

Wonderful World

George Clooney is on the flat screen. Drool. Yes, I am watching the Oscars.

They just scrolled through the list of movie makers that we lost last year. "It's a Wonderful World" was sung during the film clip. Talented people. Made me ponder.....

What I have learned since I was diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer is, without a doubt, life changing. It pretty much clarifies priorities.

Here in the Bahamas I have met some of the most wonderful people - the staff at the IAT Clinic, and especially, the patients. A few are new patients, but many are back for a "tune-up".  You know, I have lived in ten states, moved over twenty times, worked in varied jobs, and I have never found people so willing to help each other. A real "Pass it Forward" culture. Attitude, it is all about attitude. Wish I could find the words to explain how overwhelming this experience has been. Friday a couple arrived that I met ten years ago, when I was here with my friend Rueben. At least three patients have more than twenty years since their diagnosis. They have really learned how to live!

This charcoal portrait of the nurse's daughter was photographed before I completed it, but you get the idea of where I was going.......


Today I finished two more portraits from life, but haven't downloaded them yet. Five more are waiting in line. And there is an acrylic that is calling to me - to be completed. But I really wish I had my oil paints with me.

During the last three days, patients have driven me to the beach. The sound, sight, smell, and caress of the wind is  so healing. Love it.

Gotta get up in six hours. They keep telling us to get a lot of sleep. I just don't want to miss anything.
G'nite



No comments:

Post a Comment