Wednesday 29 February 2012

Magic Moment

After the blood draw, I hung my laundry on the clothesline. Felt like I was back in the 1950's. As we drove out to pick up the shots, the heavens opened up in a downpour. Great soft water rinse. They were so soaked that they never did dry. I thought it was just washing cars that primed the rain clouds.

Yesterday a patient (Ph.D./author/Andrea Bocelli look-alike) wanted an acrylic painting class. We went to Banana Bay for lunch. The handsome Italian owner let us set up our easels on the dining deck. He had stashed some shark and dolphin carcasses out on the edge of the deep water, and was going to fish for eel. He wanted to be in the painting. Giggle. Our eyesight wasn't that good. He was just a speck.

We got into the "zone", and lost in the doing. The afternoon flew by. As I was putting away my paints I glanced at the scene one more time, and held my breath. Four boats had sailed into view at the end of the jetty, and a rainbow appeared above them. I quickly painted them. When I looked up again, the boats were gone.  The rainbow had faded.
He said it was "one of those magic moments".


Tom asked me to post the painting. It was just a quickie, battling the drizzle, wind, tide, sun and clouds.   Certainly not a masterpiece. But the doing was fantastic. So here is a bit of my healing.
I used a very limited palette. Red, blue, yellow (Dick Blick samples), viridian, raw umber and white on canvas paper. (Silly airlines and their weight and size limitations). I did manage to get my easel into my suitcase. There are no art supply stores on the island.

Several patients will be heading home tomorrow. I will miss my new friends.

It is unbelievable - witnessing patients coming to the clinic looking very sick, and in a matter of a week or two they look restored to health. Some folks have titanium femurs and hips from bone cancer, lungs filling up with fluid from mesothelioma, difficulty walking because of neuropathy, breasts and kidneys removed, et al. Almost all of the patients have a family member with them. The K-9 Law Officer is the only other solo act.

I feel better than I have in years. Even my allergies are not bothering me. Only the mosquitoes. For some reason they have decided that I am quite tasty. Maybe it is because I have eaten no meat, just lots of seafood and veggies. Well chocolate and coffee.

I love this Dr.
He said to use Hersheys powdered chocolate. It has no sugar, but lots and lots of vitamin C. Hot chocolate in almond milk before bed. Yum. Much better than the IV vitamin C infusion.
Off I go..........

Well, in a minute. Couldn't figure out why there was so much congestion when we were coming out of the grocery store. Everybody was just standing around. The Bahamians cover their heads when it rains, or stay inside until it stops. They believe that if it rains on your head, you will get in a draft, catch pneumonia, and die.


No comments:

Post a Comment