Friday 10 February 2012

Want a coconut Mum?

"Want a coconut Mum?" With that, the father of three and son of my hostess, picked up a coconut from the ground and whacked it with a big machete. Once, twice, three times - exposing a finger tip size hole. He presented it with a bendy straw. The coconut water was sweetly delicious. Then he whacked it again, scooped out the gel and urged me to eat. It looked much like a raw albino oyster. It tasted like candy. Two days in a row I have downed a fresh coconut. I could get spoiled.

Coconut trees abound on this ten acre estate that is my home for eight weeks. They are huge trees with fronds that would measure a dozen feet long. The Poinciana tree is absolutely magnificent. One tree in the front yard is the largest of it's kind on the island. Sorry I don't remember it's kind. It has the biggest stag horn fern plant ever grown (I swear) hanging from a branch. Most impressive. I have tried to grow those rascals and failed miserably.

Avocado trees, mango trees, all sorts of foods and herbs are growing with reckless abandon. The swimming pool is dormant during the winter, but when it is running it is oxygenized. Sparkling water. Like swimming in 7-up. It isn't a standard pool - a free form pool with a smaller pool that has a water fall spilling into the big pool.

My corner room is on the first floor with open windows letting in the ocean breeze. The humidity has done away with my annoying post nasal drip. Worth the trip already. I had my choice of eight bedrooms as I am the only patient staying here. If there were more I would be sharing a bath, but as it is I use an additional bedroom for my computer, so I feel like I have my own private office. The rec room is huge, with wide screen TV, a bar with coffee maker, cold filtered water, refrigerator, wi-fi, four couches, an exercise machine, a phone to the US, and just lots of open space.

"Just give your clothes to the housekeeper and she will wash them for you and hang them on the line. They will smell so fresh". She is here three days a week and makes sure you have whatever you need.

A circular stair leads through a collection of wrought iron irons - to the second floor. Everywhere you look there are wonderful works of art, paintings, statues, eclectic collectibles. When you enter the living room you are greeted by the brilliant shine from the old parquet flooring. Floor to ceiling glass doors in the living room and dining room slide into the wall, exposing the entire rooms to the veranda that wraps around two sides of the house. There are two huge tables, twenty chairs, large screen TV and three ceiling fans. Heaven couldn't be any better. You are right up in the treetops. At one end the bougainvillea blossoms are taller than the two story home. Sitting on the veranda at night you are serenaded by the entertainers at the La Caya hotels about a mile away. Only a golf course is between us.

A few days ago I decided to walk to the touristy area, but there are two large dogs blocking the way. They are probably harmless, but they do bark a lot and chicken me, I turned around.

We went to the port today to pick up Mary Ann's hubby. He took a ferry (say cruise ship) to Florida to have some stitches removed from his eye. Another cruise ship was in port. The traffic was at a stand still while cherry pickers accompanied a truck with a very tall load. They would position themselves on either side of the truck and lift up the power lines so the truck could get through. Five times we happened upon traffic stops where they were checking car registrations and insurance. They have them taped to the top of the windshield to make checking easy. They have check points every month to make sure everyone is up to date. It was a slow moving day. We only did what needed to be done.

Nope, I am going to go for a stroll in the last bit of light. Later........

No comments:

Post a Comment