Friday 17 February 2012

I'm in Withdrawal

Upon awaking the thought crept into my mind - I am in withdrawal. It has been eleven days since I have drawn or painted anything. I grabbed my charcoal and gray-paper drawing pad on my way out the door While waiting for my shots I sneaked into the conference room and sketched - from a large photo of Dr. Burton. The photo is deteriorating, as photos do. I would love to paint portraits of the Drs. at Iat. Everyone who saw the quick sketch wanted to pose. Tomorrow I will bring my easel and drawing board and do some proper ones from life. Can't wait.

The patients are absolutely amazing. One had ovarian cancer twenty-seven years ago. It had spread to her cervex and vagina. They operated on the young woman, but weren't thorough enough. She developed bone cancer and was told that they had to amputate her leg at the hip. She hadn't told anyone, and at the end of a work day she sat sobbing at her desk. The boss came by, literally took her to the airport immediately, and on to the Bahamas. She didn't have time to pack and literally came with only the clothes on her back. He took her to Dr. Burton's house. He started the treatment immediately. You should see her now. A tall, exotic, gorgeous woman with long wavy black hair. A former model. Her mother is Japanese and was in Hiroshima during the war. All of her children are sterile and all have cancer. The father's German genes gave her the height and curly hair. An absolutely gorgeous woman. She is the official U.S. contact for IAT. I will post her web site later.

Sure, the medical folks among you will say, "oh well, that's just anecdotal." Wish you were here to witness hear these patients first hand. Today there were patients with Hogkins's Lymphoma, Mesotheleoma, Breast Cancer, Kidney cancer, Colo-Rectal cancer, Ovarian and Gone cancer, et al.

Written on the sixteenth. My battery was too low to post last night.
Off I go for more shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment