Wednesday 8 February 2012

Cancer Clinic

In 1992 the love of my life was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma mediastinal (stomach cancer) and told to go home and die. Dr. Milton Fried in Atlanta recommended that we go to the IAT Clinic in Freeport the Bahamas. We literally had our bags packed when there was an emergency. The EMS took him to a different hospital and different Doctors. It was a misdiagnosis and they convinced my hubby that they could treat the lung cancer, and that the Bahamas would always be there. We never made it to Freeport. The chemo and radiation destroyed him.


A friend of a friend, Reuben Best, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and prostate cancer. The Mayo Clinic said there was nothing more to be done. Reuben said that he was ready to walk off the face of the earth and be with his departed wife. I told him about IAT. He changed his mind, and I accompanied him to the Bahamas, staying two weeks until he felt comfortable finding his way around the island - while driving on the left side of the road. He was old, but lived nine years - playing golf and working. He died, cancer free, of a stroke. 


Reuben and I were at IAT during a Thanksgiving gathering. There were former patients there from all over the world. Some alive thirty years after they were to go to hospice and die. What an experience to see these vibrant folks, healthy and happy. Many of the patients were family of Drs. Curious that they didn't follow the chemo protocol!


Close to a year ago I noticed what felt like a small cyst in my right breast. Last summer the Dr. said we would keep an eye on it. By Oct 11th there was another mass. I started trying to find treatment. The Doctors are so booked up that even though I had been put through many tests including, MRI's, CT scans, I didn't get to a biopsy until the middle of November. No form of treatment until mid January!


The ultrasound biopsy seemed like a Three Stooges episode. A scalpel with a suction device was poking and slicing in three part s of my breast. All of a sudden there was a splash of tan "stuff" splattered everywhere. The doctor's white blouse looked like it had freckles. Her face and clear eye shield were rained on. Then, somehow, the tube of gel used on the skin for the ultrasound got squeezed, and a big glop of it ended up in my hair. By then, all three of us were laughing. Someone said, it looks like a scene out of "Something About Mary". Haven't seen the movie. It is on my Bucket List. 


The biopsy determined that I had Interductal Carcinoma Triple Negative, described as aggressive, and invasive - Stage III.


Six months of chemo was first on the agenda, to see if the meds would work on the tumors (two and four lymph nodes). Then a double mastectomy and radiation. Of course my hair would fall out, maybe my fingernails and toenails would fall out, nausea, pain, neuropathy (losing the feeling in my hands and feet) weight loss - all the devastation of chemo. 


A randomized Clinical Trail of something that sounded much like the IAT treatment accepted me. It was to be run in tandem with the chemo. Then they rejected me because of my corn allergy. It seems all US meds contain some inactive ingredients derived from corn products. To take chemo without meds to help with the side effects is unthinkable. We searched and finally found a patch that would help with nausea. $320. with $120. out of pocket - for one patch. It might last a week. We're talking about six months of chemo! The only other option was Medical Marijuana. That's another blog.


I just didn't fit into the typical protocol. The cost would be outrageous, because it wouldn't be what Medicare approved. When I compared costs - it was less expensive to spend two months in the Bahamas taking the Immune Augmentive Therapy.


On Jan. 12th (3 months after I looked for treatment in the US) I finally had a double mastectomy, lymphectomy. Cancer cells had spilled into my lymph system and vascular system after the biopsy - for way over two months.


When my most generous sister offered to pay my way, I jumped at the chance to take the Immune Aumentive Therapy. If you are curious - here are several videos that describe how it works. It has been successful for over thirty years. Copy and paste:  
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=B_gxgddE0Uc
And check out 
www.immunemedicine.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment